Friday, August 28, 2009

Free Desk

We got this desk for free from our friends the Coxs (David and Wendy).


I loved how it was small and had a lot of drawers... I did not love the color or the 80's hardware that was on it, I saw the potential that was in it though! Here is what you can do to make an old desk go from drab to fab:

Step 1. remove ghetto hardware
Step 2. sand entire desk
Step 3. wipe with tack cloth to remove dust
Step 4. stain desk using the color "ebony"
Step 5. go on a random impromptu camping trip with your husband (optional)
Step 6. apply second coat of stain
Step 7. seal stain with wipe on poly satin finish
Step 8. screw on updated brushed silver hardware
Step 9. add a matching chair preferably from IKEA so your cost is low... and that's it!

I did these nine simple steps and I love my "new" desk now!

5 comments:

RBell said...

I'm SO impressed Meliss! I wish something like that would fall into my lap and that I had the skills to transform it in such a stunning way! I LOVE it!

Anonymous said...

drab to fab is right!! That desk is HOT...haha, can a desk be hot? I really love what you did with it!

mum and dadio boggs said...

Awesome job. All of our desk have been hand be downs from dr. offices or hospitals. Nothing ever new. Wait til you get to use the new couch and love seat recliners. It only took of 27 years to buy something new for our living room. Love ya MUM

mum and dadio boggs said...

Okay, I finally got the time to check out your desk... WOW, nice job ya'll! What a transformation, that qualifies as an "Extreme Make Over"!
Dadio

Lindsey Bidwell said...

Not too shabby Mel. Good work!

I did those steps to my dresser...but not quite all 9 since I don't have a husband to go on a random camping trip...but I did make Brian come and help me. And by "help" me, I mean...he did most of the work and I told him what a great job he was doing! Hahaha, I love it!